Who can apply for a wish from The Chartwell Foundation?
Any Canadian senior who meets these eligibility requirements:
- Must be 65 years of age or older
- Must be a citizen or legal resident of Canada
- Must be unable to fulfill the wish on their own
- Must be physically able to experience the wish
- Must be able to provide written approval to participate from a doctor if required.
May I nominate a senior for a wish?
We encourage all Canadians to think about the seniors in their lives and speak with them about what their wish would be.
To nominate an eligible senior for a wish, you must provide signed Publicity Release forms from both yourself and the senior you are nominating with your submission as proof they grant you permission to do so. The Chartwell Foundation is unable to “surprise” seniors with wishes.
What kinds of wishes does the Foundation grant?
The Chartwell Foundation grants wishes in four general categories:
- Commemorating public or military service
- Reconnecting with loved ones
- Celebrating a passion
- Fulfilling a lifelong dream
Please note: Unless extraordinary circumstances, travel and expenses would be limited to a reasonable per diem. Should the wish be granted, the expectation is that the Wish Recipient will participate in the experience to the best of their ability.
What types of wishes will NOT be considered?
- The Chartwell Foundation does not send seniors on vacations. Any travel provided must be directly necessary for the wish to be fulfilled.
- Financial assistance
- Housing assistance
- Home furnishings
- Gifts of products, including technological devices
- Medical care or services
- Legal services
- Illegal, potentially harmful and/or dangerous wishes, as determined in The Chartwell Foundation’s sole discretion
- Wishes on behalf of others who do not meet the eligibility requirements
- Wishes that are ongoing or take place beyond the lifetime of the beneficiary
- Applicants who have already had a Wish granted by The Chartwell Foundation will not be considered
- Wishes such as Skydiving and Bungee jumping deemed as high risk or uninsurable by the committee will not be granted
- Any other wishes deemed objectionable, inappropriate, or unfulfillable in The Chartwell Foundation’s sole discretion
Is there a limit on the number of wishes that can be granted?
Our goal is to grant as many wishes as possible every year!
Tips for submitting an application?
The more we know about you, the better we can assess your application and how your wish aligns with our mission and criteria. Share as much as you are comfortable.
You also have the option of sharing photos and video from any stage of your life that help demonstrate a meaningful connection to your wish.
What must I include with my application?
You must sign and return these forms with your application to be eligible for consideration:
- The Chartwell Foundation Wish Application Certification Form
- The Chartwell Foundation Wish Nominator Publicity Release and Waiver Form
- The Chartwell Foundation Wish Applicant Publicity Release and Waiver Form
What happens after I submit a wish?
If The Chartwell Foundation determines that your wish meets all eligibility requirements, it will move forward to a Wish Review Committee for consideration.
Will my wish be approved?
The Chartwell Foundation considers every application submitted but is unable to grant every wish. The decision to grant a wish is at the sole discretion of The Chartwell Foundation and a wish may be denied for any reason.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application.
How are travel and expenses handled?
All travel costs and expenses for wish recipients and those chosen by The Chartwell Foundation to accompany them will be covered by The Chartwell Foundation. Unless there are extraordinary circumstances, expenses would be limited to a reasonable per diem.
Is The Chartwell Foundation a charity?
Yes. The Chartwell Foundation is a registered charity. Our charitable number is 714784931 RR 0001.
How can I help?
Your donation helps make life-changing wishes come true for Canadian seniors.
Submit a wish for yourself or nominate a senior for a wish.
Share The Chartwell Foundation mission in your own community and networks.